Port of Skagit took ownership of the SWIFT Center from the State of Washington in July 2018.
The Port and partners are leading efforts to revitalize the campus to focus on economic development in eastern Skagit County.
Public access was restored in the fall of 2019 to designated outdoors areas of the campus.
The Northern State Hospital first opened in 1912 and closed in the 1970’s.
In the 1950’s more than 2,500 people lived on the campus, including patients, medical staff and facility workers.
Clean-up efforts are underway to address legacy environmental concerns that stem from the hospital operations.